Please wait a moment ...
Please wait a moment ...
OverviewActive safety: Clever co-pilotsDrive system: More efficiency, more driving funExterior design: Unmistakably smartInterior design: Easy-going and charmingPassive safety: Safety comes from experienceProduction: The Hambach plant - quality and efficiency in oneSales and marketing: From small beginnings to a global brandsmart management on the new models: "Our idea has won through"Suspension: A focus on comfortThe concept: Revolutionary 3.0The model range: Every smart is uniqueThe new smart fortwo & forfour: Adding a new shine to a proven conceptThe smart story: Individual mobility reinventedUnder the microscope: loading - Affordable solutions for better drivingUnder the microscope: new app smart cross connect - Multimedia buddyUnder the microscope: "Real-life safety" philosophy - Crash test against an S-ClassUnder the microscope: smart road assistance - Insurance package includedUnder the microscope: the rear axle - A sophisticated solution
Nov 4, 2014
Three equipment lines, five packages and a wealth of optional items, some of which were previously the reserve of higher segments: every smart fortwo or smart forfour therefore becomes unique and tailored to personal taste. To tie in with the market launch of the new smart generation, the edition #1 will additionally be available for a limited period. It offers exclusive design features such as a tridion safety cell in lava orange combined with bodypanels/body in white on the fortwo and graphite grey on the forfour.
Even in the entry-level version the smart fortwo and smart forfour come with a comprehensive scope of safety and comfort equipment. This includes the Direct-Steer system, LED daytime driving lights, central locking with radio remote control, visual locking-verification signal and immobiliser, cruise control with limiter (variable speed limitation), exterior temperature indicator with frost warning, instrument cluster with monochrome LCD display and trip computer, and electric windows.
edition #1. Exclusive equipment details
To tie in with the market launch of the new smart generation, the edition #1 will be available for a limited period. This exclusive special model comes with bodypanels/body in white on the fortwo and graphite grey on the forfour combined with a tridion safety cell in lava orange (metallic). Further features include radiator trim in black, door mirror caps in the tridion colour, edition #1 logo in the mirror triangle, lockable service flap, panoramic roof with sun protection and exhaust system with chrome-plated tailpipe trim. 40.6 cm (16-inch) 8-Y-spoke alloy wheels painted in black and a sports suspension lowering the vehicle by 10 mm come as standard.
The interior is perfectly coordinated with the exclusive exterior design: seats with upholstery in black/orange fabric, dashboard and door centre panel in orange fabric and accent trim parts in black/grey, leather multifunction sports steering wheel in a 3-spoke design, shift lever knob in leather, sports pedals in brushed stainless steel with rubber studs, velour floor mats with edition #1 lettering and stowage compartment in the tailgate. The standard comfort equipment includes Cool & Audio package, instrument cluster with colour TFT display, centre console with drawer and double cup holder, reading light for passenger, vanity mirror in the sun visor for driver and passenger, spectacles compartment for driver, grab handle for passenger, luggage compartment lighting and inside door openers in matt chrome.
The equipment lines: stylish, elegant and innovative
passion, prime and proxy are the names of the three lines which upgrade the smart fortwo and smart forfour and provide for visual differentiation, particularly in the interior. The equipment lines are available for all engine/transmission combinations with the exception of the 45 kW basic engine.
The most important features at a glance:
- The passion line is very stylish and modern with a choice of colour combinations in black/orange or black/white for the interior. The multifunctional steering wheel in leather and the instrument cluster with a 3.5-inch colour display combine a high-quality ambience with functionality.
- Features such as black leather seats with white topstitching, a multifunction steering wheel and shift lever knob in leather give the interior of the prime line an elegant and classic look. Standard equipment features includes heated seats for driver and passenger and Lane Keeping Assist.
- The proxy line defines itself as an innovative trendsetter. Highlights are the panoramic roof and the seats in leather look and white/blue fabric. The Cool & Audio package provides for plenty of entertainment and a pleasant climate, whilst the standard Sports package with 16-inch alloy wheels is perfect for dynamic motoring
The packages: practical equipment combinations:
smart has combined various comfort and safety features in five practical packages:
- The Comfort package offers the right seated position for every driver. The driver's seat and steering column are height-adjustable, the door mirrors are electrically adjustable
- The Cool & Audio package provides a perfect temperature at all times, great sound, telephony and navigation. The automatic climate control includes an integrated combined filter which almost completely eliminates pollen and fine dust. The Audio-System includes Bluetooth® telephony and – in combination with the free smart cross connect app – navigation. The Cool & Audio package comes as standard with proxy; in combination with the 45 kW engine it includes manual air conditioning
- The Cool & Media package with automatic climate control and combined filter guarantees a cool head in clean air without pollen. The smart Media-System comes up trumps with the 17.8 cm (7-inch) multi-touch display which supports swiping gestures and quick navigation including traffic information. This package is available in conjunction with passion, prime and proxy and the optional extra "electric door mirrors"
- The LED & Sensor package comprises headlamps with welcome function and daytime driving lights featuring LED fibre optic technology, LED tail lamps and front fog lamps. The rain and light sensor combines comfort and safety, activating the windscreen wipers and headlamps as necessary. Standard in conjunction with passion, prime and proxy
- Based on the respective lines, the Sports package underscores the car's dynamism on both a technical and visual level. Lowering the vehicle by 10 millimetres lowers the centre of gravity for even better roadholding. The Sports package is a standard feature of the proxy line and is available as an option for passion and prime
Audio systems: varied range of infotainment
The multimedia systems meet the highest standards, with comprehensive smartphone integration, real-time navigation, intuitive operation with touchscreen and up to twelve loudspeakers. Here are the most important details:
- The smart Audio-System incorporates a radio, digital playback options and comprehensive smartphone integration. It has an FM or AM tuner plus an even wider choice of stations with the optional digital radio. The Audio-System also includes a USB and AUX port for external audio devices such as a USB stick or an MP3 player. Audio streaming allows music tracks stored on a smartphone to be played back via a Bluetooth® connection. This wireless connection also allows a hands-free kit to be used, meaning that the driver's hands remain safely on the steering wheel when on the phone. A wide range of infotainment options completes the smart cross connect app (see separate section in this press kit)
- The smart Media-System is controlled intuitively with the high-resolution 17.8 cm (7-inch) multi-touch display with swiping gestures or via voice input. A further highlight is the navigation system with real-time traffic service and up-to-the-minute traffic jam avoidance (three years inclusive). The system uses web-based services here that are transferred by a permanently installed SIM card. These live services can initially be used free of charge for three years. They include weather information for any place and effective Points-of-Interest search with an extensive database. Pictures and videos can be transferred from a USB stick or an SD card. What's more, the music of your choice can be played via Bluetooth® from a smartphone or via AUX interface. Telephony with the hands-free system is also possible via the Bluetooth® connection
- The JBL Soundsystem develops impressive sound volume and incorporates a 6-channel DSP amplifier (240 watts) in the fortwo and an 8-channel DSP amplifier (320 watts) on board the forfour. A total of eight (fortwo) or twelve (forfour) high-performance loudspeakers provide for outstanding sound quality: one broadband centre loudspeaker, two tweeters in the mirror triangle, two lower mid-range speakers in the doors (on the forfour additionally in the rear doors), two broadband rear-fill loudspeakers and in the fortwo a removable woofer on the left-hand side of the luggage compartment. The woofer is simple to remove without needing tools should more space be required in the luggage compartment.
Optional equipment: further scope for individualisation
In addition to the equipment lines and the packages, numerous optional equipment features are available for the new smart generation. These include heated seats for driver and passenger, air conditioning/automatic climate control, dashboard instrument with cockpit clock and rev counter, rear parking aid with acoustic warning and a reversing camera.