Please wait a moment ...
Please wait a moment ...
OverviewChassis and brake system: Dynamism to perfectionDesign and equipment: More AMG than ever beforeDevelopment and testing: Doing it the hard wayEngine and drive system: Engine capacity king with 336 kW/457 hpHistory: Twenty years of excitement and exclusivityTechnical dataThe new Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG: A C-Class like never before
Sep 11, 2007
Both technologically and visually the new C 63 AMG is more distinctively different from the production C-Class than ever before. In combination with the sports functionality of the standard equipment, the saloon and estate models are unmistakable in their role as exclusive and dynamic top models.
The front end of the C 63 AMG is dominated by the new bonnet with its two pronounced power domes, as well as the trademark AMG radiator grille with a central star and two louvres with chrome inserts. The honeycomb pattern of the grille is also reflected in the large air dams of the new athletically contoured front apron, which forms part of the AMG-specific bodystyling. The front fog lamps with chrome surrounds are spaced well apart, acting together with the flared front wheel arches to accentuate the width of the car. A real eye-catcher is the striking transition from the front apron to the wings. The side air vents in the front apron serve to expel the hot air from the oil coolers. If the C 63 AMG is ordered with the optional bi-xenon headlamps or the Intelligent Light System, the headlamps are also dark-tinted.
Eye-catching features when viewed from the side include the 18-inch AMG light-alloy wheels, the harmoniously integrated "6.3 AMG" lettering on the front wing and the AMG side sill panels. At the rear, the standard LED rear lights, the AMG rear apron with its black diffuser insert and three pronounced diffuser fins, as well as the AMG sports exhaust system with two chrome twin tailpipes, provide further visual highlights that are hallmarks of the brand. The AMG spoiler lip on the boot lid (saloon only) reduces lift and ensures greater handling stability at high speeds.
Interior with new AMG sports seats and AMG performance steering wheel
This decidedly sporty theme is continued in the interior of the C 63 AMG, which now has special AMG sports seats with integral head restraints for the first time. The seats not only feature a new design with cross-piping and AMG lettering, but also an adaptive backrest with adjustments for the side bolsters and lumbar support. The standard upholstery in ARTICO man-made leather/AMG fabric is available in a choice of black or reef grey – or as an option the interior can be further enhanced with particularly high-grade nappa leather in black, reef grey or black/sahara beige. Optimum handling control is assured with the new AMG performance steering wheel in a three-spoke design, which has a 365-mm rim diameter and a flattened lower section. The upper section is covered in perforated leather and two silver AMG shift paddles enable the gears to be shifted manually. Other AMG-specific equipment features include the aluminium-look door sill panels with embossed AMG lettering and brushed stainless steel sports pedals.
AMG main menu with a wide variety of displays
The distinctive AMG instrument cluster in a tubular design was specially designed for the C 63 AMG. It features newly styled dials, AMG-specific lettering and a new night-time design. Eye-catching details include the 320 km/h speedometer scale, AMG lettering, red needles and the "6.3 V8" logo in the rev counter. The AMG main menu in the central display allows numerous settings, with "Warm Up", "Set Up" and "RACE" modes activated via multifunction buttons on the AMG performance steering wheel. "Warm Up" displays the engine oil and coolant temperature, "Set Up" the current ESP® mode and the transmission mode "S", "C" or "M". "RACE" mode makes the RACETIMER available, with which the driver is able to measure lap times on a racetrack.
C 63 AMG Estate with maximum cargo volume of 1500 litres
In developing the new C 63 AMG Estate, the designers and engineers focused on customer expectations. A spacious interior, variability and functionality were afforded priority. Unlike its predecessor, the rear of the new Estate is considerably more steeply raked – an important factor that generates a larger load capacity. The capacity is 485 or 1500 litres according to the position of the 1/3:2/3 split-fold rear seat backrest (VDA measuring method). No other vehicle of the premium estate segment in this vehicle category offers so much space. The load capacity has increased by up to 146 litres compared to its predecessor. Every aspect of the C 63 AMG Estate is suitable for everyday use. It has room for four golf bags with trolleys, for example. The largest possible cuboid measurement has increased by 66 litres to 827 litres, which exceeds other premium estates in its vehicle category by anything from 50 to 100 litres. The maximum load compartment length measures 2.82 m from the tailgate to the front-passenger footwell – an increase of 17 cm.
Easy loading: EASY PACK tailgate and load-securing kit
A series of practical details make loading the new C 63 AMG Estate even easier, more comfortable and safer. The load compartment features two bag hooks and four lashing rings for securing cargo. Standard equipment includes side stowage compartments with net covers and a collapsible shopping box as well as a combined luggage cover and safety net. The new optional EASY-PACK tailgate opens and closes at the touch of a button and with the EASY-PACK load-securing kit (optional extras) drivers have even more options for dividing the load compartment (approx. 1.80 x 1.20 m) and securing their cargo.
C 63 AMG standard equipment includes (selection):
- Adaptive brake light
- Airbags for the driver and front passenger
- Aluminium trim panels on dome, doors and centre console
- Acceleration skid control (ASR)
- Armrest with roller-top compartment
- Electrically adjustable and heated exterior mirrors
- Outside temperature display
- Brake Assist
- ADAPTIVE BRAKE system with hill-start assist
- Combined luggage cover and safety net (estate)
- Through-loading facility and armrest with double cup holder, load securing and 1/3:2/3 split-fold rear seat backrest (saloon)
- 1/3:2/3 split-fold rear seat backrest (estate)
- Shopping crate, collapsible (estate)
- 3-stage ESP®
- Headlamp Assist
- Power windows (4)
- Belt tensioners and belt force limiters for the front and outer rear seats
- Air-conditioned glove compartment
- Black roof liner
- ISOFIX child seat attachment points in the rear
- Map pocket on the rear of the driver's seat backrest
- THERMATIC two-zone automatic climate control
- Kneebag on the driver's side**
- Steering column adjustable for height and reach
- Lighting package
- Front fog lamps
- Projector-beam headlamps with halogen technology
- Tyre pressure loss warning system
- ELCODE locking system with infrared/radio remote control
- Sidebag for driver and front passenger
- Bag hooks in the boot/luggage compartment
- Cruise control with SPEEDTRONIC variable speed limiter
- Front seats electrically adjustable for height and backrest angle
- Leather selector lever
- Tinted glass
- Central locking with crash sensor
** in Europe
Optional extras include:
- 19-inch AMG light-alloy wheels
- AMG performance package
- AMG carbon-fibre trim
- AMG velour floor mats
- Bi-xenon headlamps with cornering light function and headlamp cleaning
- system – including dark-tinted headlamps
- COMAND APS, incl. hard disc navigation, LINGUATRONIC voice control and music server, on request also with 6-DVD changer
- EASY PACK tailgate and load-securing kit (estate)
- Integrated rear child seats with side head restraints (estate)
- Intelligent Light System with five light functions – including dark-tinted headlamps
- Child seat recognition in the front passenger seat
- Nappa leather upholstery
- Electric rear windscreen roller blind (saloon)
- Electric tilting/sliding glass sunroof
- Sidebags in rear
- Surround-sound system
- THERMOTRONIC comfortable automatic climate control system with three-zone air conditioning
- Electrically adjustable front seats with memory function
Practical: Mercedes safety concept for every accident phase
The new C 63 AMG is the safest car in its market segment. No other vehicle in this class offers so many safety innovations and has been so uncompromisingly designed to reflect real accident scenarios as the new C-Class. The comprehensive Mercedes safety concept PRO-SAFE™ goes well beyond compliance with standard crash test regulations, taking every aspect of safe driving into account – from accident prevention with systems such as ADAPTIVE BRAKE, Brake Assist, adaptive brake lights and ESP® to occupant protection with two-stage front airbags, driver kneebag, front sidebags and windowbags. The preventive protection system PRE-SAFE® developed by Mercedes-Benz is available as an option, which makes the C-Class the only car in the world in this market segment to feature such trailblazing safety technology. Another feature providing more driving safety is the Intelligent Light System (optional), which is offered for the first time in this vehicle class. The Intelligent Light System comprises five different light functions which are configured to typical driving and weather situations and offers the driver a much enhanced visual range.