An internationally operating group

  • Dating back to the invention of the automobile in 1886
  • Decades of diversity and excitement

Stuttgart – The history of Daimler AG goes back to 1886 – the year Carl Benz and Gottlieb Daimler invented the automobile independently of one another, one in Mannheim, the other in Stuttgart. The companies founded by the two men merged in 1926 to form Daimler-Benz AG, which has since given rise to the present company, Daimler AG. The passenger car as a business division has guided the fortunes of the Group since its beginnings, and it will continue to do so through many innovations to come. We are currently experiencing the second invention of the automobile, said Chairman of the Board of Management Dieter Zetsche in 2010, and as the inventor of the automobile we bear a particular responsibility for its future.
The history of Daimler AG is diverse. It not only encompasses 125 years of automotive history, but also an equally lengthy period of corporate history; this is summarised in this press kit.
Back
Groundbreaking invention: The four-stroke engine developed by Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach, nicknamed Grandfather Clock. The first unit ran successfully in 1884.
87F275
Replica of the riding car in front of the Gottlieb Daimler Memorial in Bad Cannstatt. In 1885, the riding car was built in this workshop as a test unit to prove the suitability of Gotllieb Daimler´s and Wilhelm Maybach´s gas or petroleum engine for everyday use. The riding car is the world´s first motorbike. Gottlieb Daimler applied for the patent on 29 August 1885.
1318390
Mercedes-Benz Argentina is founded in 1950. Amongst the vehicles the company imports: large quantities of the Mercedes-Benz 180 D, which is used as a taxi. A Mercedes-Benz model 170 D in Argentina is pictured
1975M849
Benz & Cie. advertisement from the year 1912 for all types of engines. It depicts a drawing of the Benz plants
1988M105
Overall view of Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft in Untertürkheim from the year 1905. In the foreground is the municipality of Untertürkheim, in the centre the factory, in the background the suburbs of Stuttgart
A33686
The official announcement of the merger between Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft and Motorfahrzeug- und Motorenfabrik Berlin AG from the year 1902
A46883-5
In 1989 Deutsche Aerospace AG (DASA) is founded. This is where the then Daimler-Benz AG pools its aerospace activities (a DASA satellite is pictured) in the form of the Dornier and MTU brands and Telefunken Systemtechnik
A49118
View of car assembly at Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft on the Seelberg in Cannstatt in the year 1900
C38141
Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft workers, assembly department, in the factory on the Seelberg in Cannstatt in the year 1893
C22851
Car assembly at Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft in Cannstatt (Seelberg), in the year 1900
C6106
Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft in Untertürkheim, around 1906. Chassis of a Mercedes-Simplex in the paint shop
U5694
Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft in Untertürkheim. The Mercedesstrasse at the end of the working day, shot from the year 1908
15244
Board meeting of Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft, 1907. From left to right: Ernst Berge, Paul Daimler, Gustav Vischer, Friedrich Nallinger and Adolf Daimler
1996M85
At the end of 1970/beginning of 1971 the then Daimler-Benz AG takes over the commercial vehicle manufacturer Hanomag-Henschel. At the same time the former Borgward parent plant in Bremen founded in 1938 (pictured) enters the possession of Daimler-Benz. The first Mercedes-Benz passenger car to be built here rolls off the production line in 1978
2007M1300
Employees at the Daimler-Benz Aerospace plant in Bremen in front of the second stage of an Ariane 5 space rocket. The first rocket of this type was launched in June 1996
2007M480
Workers from the company Benz & Cie. in the Mannheim plant, 1894
31191
Daimler-Benz AG’s administration building in Untertürkheim dates back to 1938
32487
The rear-axle construction department at Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft in Untertürkheim, around 1920
3676
Chassis assembly at Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft in Untertürkheim, around 1921
3834
Assembly line production in around 1925 during chassis assembly at the Untertürkheim plant of Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft
4421
The destroyed administration building at Daimler-Benz AG in Untertürkheim on a shot taken in 1944. In the foreground there is a Mercedes-Benz model 170 VG (with a wood gas generator)
44640
The Daimler-Benz AG administrative building in Untertürkheim in the year 1950
49218
Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft in Untertürkheim, around 1908
74951
The Daimler-Benz AG administrative building at the Untertürkheim plant, 1953
1417893
In 1906 Carl Benz founds the company C. Benz Söhne together with his son in Ladenburg. Today the Dr Carl Benz car museum is housed in the factory buildings. The house of the Benz family in Ladenburg (pictured) was almost completely restored true to the original appearance by the then Daimler-Benz AG in 1985
85585-11
Through DASA, founded in 1989, Daimler-Benz AG is also significantly involved in Airbus. The picture shows an exhibition at Group headquarters in Möhringen, where an Airbus model is displayed in 1994
A94F777
car2go at Windansea Beach, La Jolla community, San Diego.
11C761_07
125 years after Carl Benz registered his patent and more than 80,000 patents later, Daimler was granted another technology patent. Cornelia Rudloff-Schäffer, President of the German Patent and Trade Mark Office, presented Dr. Zetsche with the patent certificate for the so-called bipolar flat-cell frame. This technology is now in the development stage at Daimler and is potentially a further step along the way to the industrialization of lithium-ion batteries.
11C90_005
Together with Chancellor Dr. Angela Merkel, present and past racing drivers Michael Schumacher, Nico Rosberg and David Coulthard, and three Daimler engineer, Dr. Zetsche symbolically started the Mercedes-Benz F-CELL World Drive. Three B-Class cars with fuel-cell drive are to travel around the world in 125 days.
11C90_006
125th birthday of the car on 29 January 2011. Dr Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars with Jutta Benz, great-granddaughter of Carl Benz (centre) and Désirée Nosbusch.
11C90_001
Buses for the World - Thomas Built Buses
10C1007-03
Carl Benz (in the dark suit) with his family in a Benz Comfortable rated to 2.6 kW (3.5 hp).
U53459
The new Düsseldorf vans (1967-1986) soon enjoyed a virtual monopoly among ambulances and rescue vehicles.
11._Krankwagen
Forward-looking: Mercedes-Benz 170 V as Cabriolet B (1936 to 1940)..
25772
Pioneer car salesman: businessman Emil Jellinek (1853-1918) sold DMG’s Mercedes cars very successfully.
Z2962
In the year 1972 Mercedes-Benz of North America rebuilds the headquarters in Montvale, New Jersey
2005DIG376
Lettering: the "Mercedes" trademark was registered by Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft on 23 June 1902 and became legally protected on 26 September 1902.
1998M390
Wreathed star as radiator emblem: the star in the laurel wreath, a combination of the trademarks of Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft and Benz & Cie., was registered as a trademark at the Patent Office on 18 February 1925.
3524
From gold to silver: the registered trademarks of Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft and Benz & Cie. from 1909 (top row), the changed Mercedes star of 1916 and the new Mercedes-Benz emblem from 1926. The version of the star in the circle registered in 1921 reflects the later form of the stylised Mercedes-Benz trademark.
A2000F5617
In India there were eager buyers for the L 3500 engines and chassis.
(04)_Tata
Loading