Please wait a moment ...
Please wait a moment ...
Trailblazing safety: Airbags, restraint systems and pedestrian protection
OverviewBody: Sporty rigidity and safetyChassis and suspension: Supreme, agile handlingDesign: Sporty, athletic and eye-catchingEngine and drive system: Sporty performance and fuel efficiencyEquipment packages: Exterior Sports packageInfotainment: Navigation, internet connection and media playerInterior: Exclusive style, high-quality materialsModel range: A passionate form of driving pleasureNew level of safety: Intelligent assistance systems with a keener eyeQuotes about the new E-Class Coupé and CabrioletThe new E-Class Coupé and Cabriolet - The ultimate in driving enjoyment: passionate, sporty, intelligentTrailblazing safety: Airbags, restraint systems and pedestrian protection
Innovative driver assistance systems, precautionary protective measures, a load-resistant body structure and highly effective restraint systems make the E-Class Coupé and Cabriolet among the safest vehicles in their segments.
The basis for this is the integrated safety concept from Mercedes-Benz, which combines all elements of active and passive safety in a well thought-out system – providing protection for both the vehicle occupants and other road users. The integrated safety concept meets, to an unprecedented extent, the requirements for a high degree of vehicle and road safety, based on real-life accidents.
In the event of an accident, the best possible protection is provided by the restraint systems, the full complement of airbags and the body's structural safety. An innovative sensor system triggers the safety systems depending on the situation and coordinates them all with each other.
Restraint systems form the backbone of passive safety. The new E-Class Coupé and Cabriolet offer:
- three-point seat belts for driver and front passenger with electronic, reversible belt tensioners in the PRE-SAFE® phase and pyrotechnic belt tensioners in the event of an accident as well as belt force limiters
- three-point seat belts in the rear with pyrotechnic belt tensioners, belt force limiters and rear belt status display in the instrument cluster
- NECK-PRO head restraints for driver and front passenger which provide early support for the head in the event of a rear-end collision and as such are able to reduce the risk of whiplash
- ISOFIX child seat anchor points on the rear seats for the secure attachment of appropriate child seats, each with additional fastening point at the top of the rear backrest
Also fitted on board is a sophisticated system of airbags:
- adaptive airbags for driver and front passenger with multistage deployment, depending on the detected severity of the impact
- sidebags for driver and front passenger, which are able to provide additional protection in the event of a side impact
- pelvisbags for driver and front passenger, which are able to protect the pelvic area in the event of a side impact
- windowbags between the A- and C-pillars on the Coupé, to protect the head region of the driver, front passenger and rear passengers
- kneebag, which in specific types of impact can offer the driver protection in the area of the dashboard that comes into contact with the knees and also stabilise the entire upper body, which has a positive effect on occupant movement in a collision
- optional rear sidebags provide additional protection for passengers seated on the outer rear seats
- headbags fitted at shoulderline height in the door linings on the Cabriolet deploy upwards in a collision to cover a large area, enabling them to provide effective protection in the occupants' head region
Automatic child seat recognition makes a further contribution to safety. It can deactivate the airbag on the front passenger side when a child seat with a corresponding transponder is fitted.
Systematic pedestrian protection
The following measures are implemented for pedestrian protection:
- active bonnet, which is raised by 50 mm when an impact is detected, thus creating additional deformation space during the impact. The system is partially reversible and can be reset without having to pay a visit to the workshop, allowing the journey to be continued. Only the pyrotechnic trigger mechanism needs to be replaced in the workshop.
- BAS PLUS gives a warning when the Stereo Multi-Purpose Camera and radar system detect pedestrians in the danger zone in front of the vehicle. The PRE-SAFE® Brake with pedestrian protection triggers autonomous braking when the system detects a pedestrian in the danger zone and the driver fails to react to the system's warnings. This pedestrian detection function, which comes in conjunction with the optionally available Driver Assistance package Plus, represents a milestone in preventing accidents with pedestrians or reducing their consequences.