Daimler Mobility Services at SXSW: On the edge to autonomous mobility
- Daimler Mobility Services presents itself with the brands car2go, moovel, mytaxi and Blacklane at the tech festival in Texas
- Mobility Cube in Palm Park under the umbrella „On the edge to autonomous mobility“
- moovel Lab presents „Who Wants to Be a Self-Driving Car“ project
Daimler Mobility Services, which encompasses all mobility services provided by Daimler, will be represented by the car2go, moovel, and mytaxi brands at this year’s SXSW. Rounding off the mobility trio will be Blacklane, a holding of Daimler Mobility Services. Together, the four mobility providers will present their portfolios in the Mobility Cube in Palm Park under the motto of “On the edge to autonomous mobility.”
Getting from A to B the easy way – with a car sharing vehicle, by taxi, rental bike, chauffeur-driven limousine, or public transportation: the mobility brands Blacklane, car2go, moovel, and mytaxi have just the right services on offer. With car2go, moovel, and mytaxi represented in more than 100 cities in Europe, North America, and China, between them they boast a total of 17.8 million registered customers.
Visitors to the Mobility Cube in Palm Park will have the opportunity to meet experts on the subject of mobility, and outside the Cube, they can explore the world through the eyes of an autonomous vehicle thanks to the current moovel lab project “Who Wants to Be a Self-Driving Car?”. Information from sensors and a 3D camera is visualized in a pair of virtual reality glasses, enabling visitors to steer the unconventional vehicle through the park.
Daimler Mobility Services paving the way for a future with autonomous vehicles
Daimler AG is seen as a pioneer and market leader in innovative mobility services, with almost 18 million customers using the services offered by car2go, moovel, and mytaxi to get from A to B. And thus shaping the urban mobility of tomorrow.
Daimler Mobility Services will continue to expand its mobility portfolio and customer base, while enabling users to benefit further from the pooling of mobility products. Following a total of 24 million rental transactions in 2017 alone, car2go was able to collate a great deal of information about customer requirements. This information forms a valuable basis for Daimler’s CASE strategy. car2go, for example, uses algorithms to predict mobility demands and allow for targeted control of fleets. Know-how is an essential element when it comes to controlling autonomous vehicle fleets.
Daimler’s mobility services are based on three pillars:
- car2go: Worldwide, car2go has three million customers and a fleet of 14,000 vehicles, making it the market leader in flexible car sharing. On average, one car2go rental begins every 1.2 seconds. With vehicles from the Mercedes-Benz brand now available too, the choice has become even more attractive. Since June 2017, when online driving license validation was introduced, customers in all European markets have been able to register for and directly access the car2go service entirely online.
- moovel: The corporate start-up is developing an operating system for urban mobility that offers access to a range of different mobility services – including booking and payment. In Germany, the mobility app combines public transportation, car2go, mytaxi, bicycle rentals, and Deutsche Bahn. In the USA, the company’s moovel transit product portfolio makes it the market leader for mobile ticketing and payment solutions for public transportation authorities. With moovel on-demand, the moovel Group has been offering a platform for intelligent ride sharing and pooling since December 2017. moovel has almost four million users.
- mytaxi: By merging with British taxi app Hailo in 2016 and taking over Taxibeat in Greece (02/2017) and Clever Taxi in Romania (06/2017), the number of customers has been increased to more than 11 million (end of 2017). With more than 10 million downloads worldwide, over 120,000 registered drivers, and availability in more than 70 cities across 11 European countries, mytaxi is the leading taxi booking app in Europe. Taxi apps, which enable users to book and pay for taxis via smartphone, are proving increasingly popular. Almost 30 percent of customers in Germany, for example, now book taxis using a smartphone app.
Moreover, Daimler Mobility Services holds stakes in Careem, Chaffeur Privé, Flixbus, Turo and Via as well as Blacklane. Next to car2go, moovel and mytaxi, Blacklane will be present in the Mobility Cube in Austin:
- Blacklane: The global professional driver service Blacklane is the perfect solution for the first and last mile of travelers’ journeys. Blacklane gives passengers peace of mind and comfort in more than 50 countries, 250 cities, and from 500 airports worldwide. The company offers top quality at fair prices that are calculated at the time of booking, and include all fees and tips. All drivers are commercially licensed and insured. Through innovative technology and multilingual customer service, Blacklane coordinates thousands of premium vehicles in real time – around the clock.