Please wait a moment ...
Please wait a moment ...
Chassis and suspension: Sportily agile and comfortable
OverviewAerodynamics: Against the windAssistance systems: Driving safely, reducing stressBodywork: More rigid and sturdy, saferChassis and suspension: Sportily agile and comfortableDesign: Sportiness meets beautyEngine and drive system: Efficiency and temperamentHighlights of the new C-Class CoupéInfotainment: A sensual pleasureInterior: Dynamics and modern luxuryMercedes connect me: connected with the carModel range: Sporty, comfortable, individualThe Mercedes-Benz management on the new C-Class CoupéThe new C-Class Coupé: Seduction of the heart and mindThe new Mercedes-AMG C 63 Coupé: The sportiest C-Class ever
The lowered standard suspension with wider track and specific tuning offers a high ride quality with low road roar and tyre vibration whilst ensuring agile driving dynamics – the basis for driving enjoyment on twisty roads.
A new 4-link front axle with wheel suspension decoupled from the spring strut plays a major part in the agile handling. This enables sporty axle kinematics for plenty of grip and high lateral stability. As a result, the suspension responds more sensitively to steering movements and allows a sporty, agile driving style.
Because the components of the new front axle such as the tie rods, spring links, wishbones and steering knuckles are made of aluminium, it weighs about two kilogrammes less than a corresponding steel design. This enables a sensitive response.
A multi-link independent rear suspension with 5 links ensures excellent wheel control qualities and supreme straight-line stability.The rear axle carrier and the spring control arms are made of forged aluminium. A large rear axle bearing contributes to improved isolation of vibrations and thus to the outstanding NVH characteristics and ride quality.
The Coupé comes with a steel suspension as standard. Two suspensions with selective damping are available in conjunction with this system:
- a comfortable AGILITY CONTROL suspension with sporty character and a ride height lowered by 15 millimetres compared with the saloon model
- a sports suspension with tauter springing and damping including the Sports Direct-Steer system for even more agile handling
First in class: riding on air
The Coupé is the first vehicle in its segment to come with the optional AIRMATIC air suspension on the front and rear axle. Its electronically controlled, continuously adjustable damping on the front and rear axle ensures outstanding road roar and tyre vibration characteristics in every situation and gives the driver the option of selecting the desired driving style: sporty, comfortable or consumption-optimised. To this end, the driver can select one of five driving modes using the DYNAMIC SELECT Switch: "ECO", "Comfort", "Sport", "Sport +" and "Individual". Selecting "Individual" allows the driver to customise the vehicle settings.
The adaptive damping system allows a high level of driving dynamics because the system adapts the damping forces to the vehicle's driving dynamics within fractions of a second.
At the same time AIRMATIC is characterised by a comfortable ride usually only found in the luxury segment. It smooths out expansion joints, asphalt patches and undulating asphalt caused by trucks braking at traffic lights.
AIRMATIC also features all-round self-levelling for excellent ride comfort even with the vehicle loaded. It controls the ride height automatically depending on the speed and reduces fuel consumption on the motorway by lowering the vehicle, for example. This also improves driving safety. Furthermore, the ground clearance can be increased at the push of a button using the ride-height adjustment switch on rough roads or poor access roads.
Sporty steering feel
The C-Class Coupé is equipped with an electro-mechanical Direct-Steer system with a sporty, direct character. It combines speed-sensitive power assist from the speed-sensitive steering with a steering ratio that varies according to the given steering angle.
Advantages of the electromechanical Direct-Steer system:
- improved agility thanks to more direct steering response
- comfortable handling and high level of steering comfort at all speeds
- considerable savings potential, since energy is only required when steering occurs
- enables the use of assistance systems, such as Active Park Assist
Fade-resistant brakes for short stopping distances
The brakes meet high requirements with regard to stopping distance, response, fade resistance, directional stability and service life of the brake pads. The braking
system is furthermore equipped with ADAPTIVE BRAKE that offers the following advantages:
- Hill-start assist prevents rolling back on a hill
- a HOLD function keeps the vehicle immobile without having to depress the brake pedal
- in the rain, a brake-drying function regularly wipes the moisture from the brake discs to make full braking power instantly available
- the priming function lightly puts the brake pads into contact with the discs the instant the driver releases the accelerator quickly, and can consequently shorten the stopping distance during subsequent braking.
In addition, the new C-Class Coupé comes with an electric parking brake with 'Comfort Go' automatic release as standard. It automatically releases the parking brake when the driver intends to start off.
Other brake functions:
- As a torque vectoring brake it provides for additional safety at the limit by purposefully vectoring the torque between the wheels of the driven axle by means of one-sided brake interventions.
- The adaptive brake lights can warn vehicles following behind of heavy braking and shorten their reaction time.