Running for a good cause: For the first time ever, a charity event will round off a Formula E race, namely the Mercedes-Benz EQ Run
- Mercedes-Benz EQ Run on 25 May 2019 at 18:30 (after the race in Berlin)
- All proceeds go to the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation Germany
- In addition, €1.00 will be donated to a good cause for every lap completed by each participant
- Participants will be given free admission to the Allianz E-Village at the BMW i Berlin E-Prix presented by CBMM Niobium
- Further information is available at www.mercedes-benz.com/EQ-RUN
Debut on the weekend of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship in Berlin: Mercedes-Benz is organising the first ever EQ Run, a charity race for runners after the 2019 BMW i Berlin E-Prix presented by CBMM Niobium has taken place on 25 May. All proceeds will go to the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation. In addition to the entry fees, Mercedes-Benz will donate one euro for every full lap completed by each participant. Part of the money raised will go towards funding social projects in Berlin supported by Laureus.
As soon as the chequered flag has fallen at the 2.37km Tempelhof circuit, runners will begin to line up for the one-hour race. The starting field is limited to 1,886 runners, a direct reference to 1886, the year in which the automobile was born. Each participant will be given a T-shirt and free admission to the E-Village for the Formula E race. The starting fee is €25.00 per runner, and the whole of this amount will be handed over to the Sport for Good Foundation. The starting gun will fire at 18:30. Prospective runners can register at www.mercedes-benz.com/EQ-RUN.
Mercedes-Benz brand ambassador Stefanie Giesinger, herself a fun run enthusiast, will also be lining up at the start and trying to complete as many laps as possible. “Running on a motor racing circuit – what an experience! I’m looking forward to being there, and I’m curious to see how much we raise for this excellent cause.”& lt; /p>
After the charity run, participants can ‘recharge their batteries’ at the Mercedes-Benz EQ booth in the E-Village. They will be invited to visit the EQ House where they can refresh themselves with cool drinks and small, healthy snacks. During this subsequent get-together, the runners will be able to not only discover the EQ brand but also the fascination of electric mobility first-hand.
“It’s great that we can bring together so many different aspects in the Mercedes-Benz EQ Run,” says Bettina Fetzer, Vice President Marketing Mercedes-Benz Cars. “There will be motor racing in the shape of Formula E, electric mobility with our EQ brand, athletic activity for the participants – and all for a good cause. Since it was set up in 2000, the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation has helped millions of children and young people all over the world with its projects, and we hope that the participants of our run will put in plenty of laps for this worthy cause.”
“It won’t just be Formula E cars running on track in Berlin, but fans too after the race,” adds Alejandro Agag, Founder & CEO of Formula E. “I’m delighted to be partnering with Mercedes-Benz for this fantastic initiative. The ABB FIA Formula E Championship has always been more than just a race and the first-ever Mercedes-Benz EQ Run shows we’re pulling together as a group to raise funds for a great cause. Just like our teams and partners do for the general awareness of clean mobility solutions and the wider electric movement.”
About Laureus Sport for Good
Laureus Sports for Good (S4G) is one of the world’s leading charitable sports development foundations. S4G was inspired by the words of its patron, Nelson Mandela, who said at the inaugural Laureus Awards ceremony in 2000: “Sport has the power to change the world.” The Foundation supports more than 160 programmes in more than 40 countries. These are run by grassroots organisations that are firmly rooted in their local communities and understand how sport can be used to overcome the hurdles facing children and adolescents in their region. Mercedes-Benz supports these organisations by providing resources and sharing knowledge. All activities promoted by Mercedes-Benz are in line with standards for charitable projects set by the United Nations under its Sustainable Development Goals criteria.
The Mercedes-Benz EQ Run at a glance:
- Charity run to take place after the Formula E race in Berlin (duration: 60 minutes)
- Start: 25 May 2019 at 18:30 on the Formula E circuit (2.37 km)
- Starting places limited to 1,886 (entry fee: €25.00)
- All participants will be given a T-shirt and free admission to the Allianz E-Village at Tempelhof Airport
- The proceeds will go to the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation
- In addition to the entry fees, Mercedes will donate €1.00 per full lap completed
- After the race, runners will be treated to cool drinks, healthy food and an exhibition on electromobility at the Mercedes-Benz EQ booth in the E-Village