The new Citan is a discreet giant in the small van segment. Surprisingly spacious for a compact van, fully loaded with innovative features such as MBUX or Active Brake Assist and also visually a true Mercedes‑Benz. So it's only logical that the discreet giant should be paired up with a real giant: measuring 2.06 metres and weighing in at 155 kilogrammes, Hafþór "Thor" Júlíus Björnsson provides a testimonial as part of the international market launch campaign.
32-year-old "Thor" became a familiar household name around the world after playing Gregor Clegane ("The Mountain") in cult series "Game of Thrones". The former basketballer and ten-time victor of the "Iceland Strongest Man" competition is currently in training for an international boxing match. Just in time for the market launch of the new Citan, he is in top form (further information on him can be found here).
The new Citan impresses the working world with impressive results. Equipped with comprehensive features, it makes the working day of its target group noticeably easier and imparts the assurance that they can rise above themself – a truly gigantic feeling. The campaign thus shows people in the process of tackling immense tasks, whereupon they become giants and, by means of morphing, they become the Thor and give their testimonial. He then playfully carried out the task before morphing back into the original person.
In order to visually differentiate this gigantic effect, the visual concept uses exciting lightplays and dramatic perspectives which convey agility and flexibility – and thus show the true size of the new Citan. "Putting a real giant like Hafþór behind the wheel of the new Citan doesn't just strike a chord with our customers, but it also impressively demonstrates how spacious or gigantic the new Citan really is," explains Anja Gutmann, Head of Marketing Communications at Mercedes-Benz Vans.
The humorous teaser film "I’m giant" accompanies Hafthor on a walk in the park. For him as a giant, hardly anything in the normal world appears gigantic. Park benches, basketballers and even a 70 kg Saint Bernard dog: Nothing surprises him – that is, until he meets the new Citan. The teaser will be broadcast in two versions – one will be published before and the other after the public premiere of the new Citan. TV adverts, product and feature-driven adverts as well as printed images and a comprehensive digital and social media campaign will follow in September 2021. The videos can be called up on the Mercedes-Benz Vans YouTube channel.
- Mercedes-Benz Vans: Anja Gutmann, Mark Schreiber, Christian Peters, Maree Thiede
- Agency: PREUSS UND PREUSS Berlin/Stuttgart is responsible for the idea, concept and realisation of the campaign; GF Advice: Nina Preuss, CD/GF Creation: Michael Preuss, Client Service Director: Jana Huth, CD Art: Maximilian Stengl, CD Text: Oliver Flohrs, Senior Art: Melanie Specht, Senior Text: Sebastian Flemmig, Steffen Rollbühler, Agency Producer: Sunna Pilz
- Moving pictures campaign: Production: CZAR Berlin, Director: Bart Timmer, DOP: Ekkehart Pollack
- Producer: Jan Fincke, Christian Brox, Vincent Taeger
- Post-production campaign: ACHT Frankfurt/Hamburg
- Print stills: Production: Recom, Photographer: Thomas Strogalski